Bootstrap 5.x Template/Theme
  • markdaps

Bootstrap 5.x Template/Theme

by markdaps » February 7th, 2021, 10:52 pm

Hi,

Looking to begin development on a starter template/theme using Bootstrap 5.

Let me know if anyone has already started to do this please.
    Mark M | Web Developer
  • markdaps

Re: Bootstrap 5.x Template/Theme

by markdaps » February 12th, 2021, 7:01 am

Hi,

Have had a major rethink about migrating this script from Bootstrap 3, to Bootstrap 5.

Instead, I will be using CSS Grid/Flexbox for the main layout and individual elements, alongside pure CSS/vanilla JavaScript for components, i.e carousel, slider, gallery, and cards, etc.

Reasons for not making the Bootstrap migration include;

BS3 and BS5 are entirely different, and every single file that has any HTML or jQuery reference to BS3 would have to be coded from scratch.

BS3 can't run alongside BS5 (or even BS4 for that matter). This is due to matching CSS class names (and there are thousands of them). This would mean that everything would have to be converted at the same time before deploying. BS5 does not use jQuery either (although it can support it if required).

This script heavily relies on jQuery and BS3 across files other than template files, i.e. visitor frontend, members frontend, and admin backend. The form controls alone are extensive. It's also coded into PHP core files.

Bootstrap is always difficult to upgrade for major releases, using pure CSS removes that problem.

jQuery is slowly being dropped in favour of vanilla Javascript in most cases, exceptions include WordPress, but they have a major new release with jQ being upgraded to version 3.x (this script is using v1.x).

Using pure CSS allows for a theme to be developed, and released in parts, and without affecting the core script. BS3 and jQuery can stay in place until updated in core files.

For any browser/device that doesn't support CSS Grid, there are fallbacks, you could also fallback to a default template.

For components that include a carousel, slider, image gallery, header navigation designs, and whatever you need, can be added easily enough using pure CSS and vanilla JS. Template developers could release single items often, that can be included into the template.
    Mark M | Web Developer
    jagdish
    Site Admin

by jagdish » February 12th, 2021, 7:11 am

what exactly you want to upgrade.... the template to the latest bootstrap or you want to upgrade both frontend and backend?
    Secondly yes you are right class name changes on major releases.
    Let me know the Exact Requirement
    PHP Developer
    Mydirectoryonline
  • markdaps

by markdaps » February 12th, 2021, 10:29 am

Hi,

Frontend firstly, backend is only for us, so not really that important.

It's not a case of simply changing the HTML, so much else has dependencies for jQuery throughout the code, even down to cookies.

Then there are the forms, jquery plugins, and much more.

I did use PMD for many years, and made a couple of free templates, did lots of custom template work, as well as being a forum advisor, so have an understanding of how it works. But as it has been left so long without any major updates, it now requires some work to get it up to date.

Having spent time on it recently, I can see it being a big task.

Hence why I've been looking at a pure CSS option, rather than using a CSS framework.

If you can get if BS5 ready, that would be awesome.
    Mark M | Web Developer
  • markdaps

by markdaps » February 12th, 2021, 11:19 am

Personally, I feel the script will benefit more by having a CSS Grid layout default template in the long run.

Web design is moving away from restricted grid layouts.

Of course, without a framework, there are no ready-made modals. form sliders, etc. But you could easily include some basic ones in a template, and let theme developers add to that.

Previous PMD users relied on using template developers, or learned to customise their own template. The script was always more about the functionality.

Ben made the move to Bootstrap as it was better than anything else available, consider coding responsive design for IE6, for example.

Since then, CSS has come a very long way.

Bootstrap has to be downloaded, it's bloated, and difficult to create true responsive layouts for.

Just my two cents.
    Mark M | Web Developer
    jagdish
    Site Admin

by jagdish » February 12th, 2021, 1:14 pm

yes we can make changes using the pure css pure option
    PHP Developer
    Mydirectoryonline